I am so glad that I was already working on an externship with a legal aid organization near my home for this semester. After the events of September, I still need to be at home for a while. The externship allows me to get back on track and make progress toward my degree while being at home. I feel so lucky that Michigan State has this program!
I can’t believe that the first two weeks of the semester are in the bag already. I am completely exhausted and feel that I have miscalculated the demands on my time and my ability to meet those demands. (Of course, this is law school so I think I am supposed to feel this way as prep for a legal career). So let’s review my weekly schedule:
- Work 30 hours each week at the externship
- Complete Advanced Legal Research course work
- Meet deadlines for Delta Competency Model research as we enter phase two
- Research and write a monthly article for Frontier of the Law
- Write a weekly blog post
- Keep up social media presence
What did I do this week?
- Researched garnishments, foreclosures, landlord-tenant law, negotiable instruments, contract law, and more
- Went to court twice
- Assisted at intake office in the courthouse
- Began long term research project on social security benefits
- Attended attorney training with sessions on dementia, inclusion, and acting for lawyers
- Used my tech skills to retrieve data from a phone
- Dazzled ’em with my Microsoft Office skills (ok, it was just putting a Table of Contents in my research, but hey, if they think I am a magician, I am not going to correct them).
What did I learn about myself?
- I really like legal research.
- I like helping with technical prep for trials even more than doing research.
- I am still a work-a-holic. I have exceeded my time both weeks and have eaten lunch while pecking away on research every day instead of taking a break and going for a walk as planned.
- I was reminded that working in a busy office with constant noise is very draining to me.
Plan for the upcoming week:
- Ask about working Tuesday through Friday only. (Since I have to be in DC on Monday afternoons for class anyway, this would allow me to go to some of the Hubsters medical appointments or work on school work on Monday mornings).
- Figure out my plan for the school’s social media contest.
- Carve out some “me” time in my studio so that I can recharge with a little bit of quiet and solitude.